Friday, February 01, 2008

Disappointment With the Weather "people"...

For the past two days, the weather"people" and their fancy radar and doppler equiptment, have been telling us to prepare for the winter storm of the season. The "storm" was supposed to blow in around late afternoon yesterday and continue through today. At 5, they changed the time of the pending "winter blast" to 7 PM, at 7, it was changed to 10 PM. I love snow, so I was very excited about all the winter weather advisories and the promise of 8 inches of snow. I didn't even care about the threat of the sleet we may get before the snow. As much as I love the snow, I don't care for the ice. I gave up waiting for the arrival of the white, fluffy stuff around 1 AM and went to bed. Imagine my surprise when I got up this morning and DH said, "why are you up, there is no school today?" You would have thought I was the one having a snow day. I went to the front door to take a look out side ........ NOTHING. Why is school cancelled?... where is my promised, biggest snow of the season? This is what it looked like. How sad is that? We did have a little ice. DH said the roads were clear all the way to work. Two weeks ago, the kids should have had a snow day because of the ice, or at least a 2 hour delay, but they didn't. Instead all the buses were late, and the kids were standing at the bus stops forever waiting. I don't understand the weathermen/women and their faulty radar, and I don't understand the requirements for snow days. I am happy to have the kids home though.



Now this, brightened my day. I got a package from Jessi. It had the beautiful prize yarn I won from her blog contest. I have not knit with either of these yarns. The Yarn Pirate is Butternut and the Lime & Violet is Spooky Pooky. There goes my resolve to finish all the singletons. I am a comfort knitter. I am going to wind some new yarn and knit something else to ease the disappointment of not being able to go play in the snow.

I finished the Ballband Bag. It is felted and blocked and dry. I need to give it a light shave as it is a little fuzzier than I prefer. It needs a button too. I will have to search in the button drawer, but I am pretty sure I don't have anything that will work with this. I searched and searched for something to use to block this. When I made the first couple, we had some PC game boxes that were the perfect size for this bag. DH threw them away when he was cleaning out the closet. The girl child just did a report on the Manatee, and these books were the perfect size. I put them is some plastic bags....and into the bag they went. No Library books were damaged in the process.
Well Blogger is being a stinker. It has taken forever to get pictures to upload and the spell check won't work. And trust me, I need Spell Check. So, I apologize.
I am going to go wind some yarn now. Have a geat weekend!!!!

15 comments:

Karen said...

you sure are silly about snow...I haven't liked it since we were little (Colorado was very fun, but I was in the 4th grade then). Love the new yarn, can't wait to see what you create with it. And the bag is so pretty.

Janice said...

Same thing happened to us Wednesday.. Schools cancelled at 6 a.m. for incoming storm that never came!!! Everyone just panicked into error!!
I'm thankful, tho. I've had enough snow now and am ready for Spring!! :-) Your yarn looks yummy. I'm sure you will knit it into something fantastic!! I'm casting my ballband bag on tomorrow. Yours looks great!! Have a great weekend!!

Beth N said...

Our school was cancelled too but we did get snow. I should have taken pictures of the beautiful swirls it made on my roof. It is supposed to get up in the 40's on Monday so the snow won't last long--wish I could bag you up some and send it your way. Your bag is just perfect--I love those colors. New yarn is great too.

hakucho said...

Your ballband bag came out great! I really need to make one...you must already know how much I love ballbands :)

happy knitting :)

Jane said...

Gosh, this sounds like Georgia! Winter Storm Watch... and watch and watch. For what? Usually no snow/ice - at least in my area. We had a little a couple of weeks ago but now my daffodils are pushing up the dirt - so no more please!

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

Apparently the same weather man that "guesses" at the weather for Alabama "guesses" for your part of the country too!!!! lol!!!!

Personally, I think they are all tied in with the grocery and hardwares stores....a sale doesn't bring in enough customers....call a snow/ice/hurricane, etc!!!! LOL!!!

Helen Knits said...

Love the ball band bag! We've got a felting KAL going at Aussie knitters but I haven't had time to participate even though I am on the list. Never felted before(not intentionally)I still plan on doing it and am looking forward to trying it out.

Our weather "people" must use the same radar equipment because they usually get it wrong too.

Jknits said...

Bummer about the snow - we have the same problem here - big hype, nothing. No hype, huge storm. Maybe you'll get a last blast before spring.

Debby said...

Drats on the snow. I love it although we don't get much here in Georgia. I wait up all hours of the night waiting for snow if it is predicted. Better luck next time

marit said...

We NEVER get snow days!!! Maybe that's because we never get (much) snow...?
Cute bag and great yarn:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica! You won my contest ~ congratulations~ The yarn is soaking now and should get dyed tomorrow, in nice beachy colors for you.

Please email me at info@spirit-trail.net with your mailing address!

Happy Knitting! Jennifer

Sheila said...

We even got snow out here in the desert. Yep! Only a dusty in St. George but Zion NP got 6-8 inches. I hope to post some pictures this week. And your new sock yarn looks yummy!

Carol said...

I just love your ballband bag....We don't get snow here on the desert floor but we sure get it up at MT Charleston....

Caroline said...

We even had a little snow last week, in the foothills a couple of miles from us. That's as close as it usually ever gets.

How disappointng when you know that there is actually a chance of a snow day:( Knitting does help though, doesn't it?

Alisha said...

Love the bag.....hate snow lol

I think I hate it cause we get such horrible cold with it.