Friday, September 29, 2006

Ballband Bag recipe


I have had many request for the directions for the bag in the last post. I had to sit down and take a look at the bag again to see what I did. I usually sit down and just start knitting and see what comes off the needles, but I have been getting a little better about making little notes as I go lately. It is a simple slip stitch pattern, and I am sure there are tons of them out there, so I am not in any way laying claim to the technique, but the pattern for the bag in mine, please don't try to sell it yada yada yada... you guys know the rules.

Materials
1 ball Cascade 220 ( I used black) (A)
1 ball Diakeito Rococo ( I used color 104) (B)
10 1/2 circ. needle 16"
Pre felted my bag was about 9" wide and 14" tall, post felting it is 8" square


CO 39 stitches with (A) and knit 13 rows in garter stitch, place a marker(pm) and pick
up 6 st along the short side, pm, pick 39 st on cast on edge, pm, pick up 6 st along side, place beginning of round marker.
Knit 4 rounds
begin pattern:
Rnds 1&2 Knit
Rounds 3-6 with (B) *K4, SL1, (K5, SL1) to 4 stitches before first marker, K4, SL marker SL1 , K4, SL1, sl marker* repeat from * to *
Rnds 7 & 8 Knit with (A)
Rnds 9 - 12 with (B) *K1, Sl1, (K5, Sl1) to 1 st before marker, K1, sl marker SL1, K4, SL1, sl marker* repeat from * to *
repeat these 12 rounds for desired length ( I did 6 pattern repeats)
Knit 6 rounds in (A)
end with an attatched I cord bind off, marking center on one long side for an i cord button loop and marking the 6 side st for a 6 st I cord strap to pick up after bind off is finished. ( I am applying purchased straps to mine.
The button loop is a 3 st I cord 4 " long , pick up 3 st along the center on the inside of the bag and knit 4" I cord and graft to the inside of the bag.
Felt , shape let it dry and enjoy your bag

18 comments:

Monika said...

I like all or your knitting! It's so colorful and all my favorite techniques... will be back!

Sue said...

Thank you so much for posting your "recipe". I promise I won't share it with anyone - but will instead direct them to your site! Can't wait to try it. Susan

Petunia Honeysuckle said...

Wow, great work! Thanks for sharing your pattern, it's a gift :) I love your bag and will definitely try it.

sheep#100 said...

The bag looks great!

Also, Sam makes as small as size 4s (I have a set) in the curly maple dpns - the web page isn't entirely in ascending order.

Janice said...

Thanks so much for posting the pattern! The bag is awesome!!

Suzetta said...

Love this bag, the yarn you selected was perfect for it. Thanks for sharing your pattern or should I say recipe?

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I love this bag! The colours look so bright and pretty against the black. I've bookmarked this so I can come back and get the pattern.

Jane said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern. I've made a few ballband washcloths and was thinking the same thing - wonder how a ballband felted bag would look. Now, thanks to you I know! I can't wait to try it.
Jane

Nonna Rose said...

Thank you for sharing the pattern! I will surely try it. I'm also impressed with your Halloween Bag, I've not become confident enough to make up such a pattern yet. Maybe in another 20 years!!!!

monica said...

Trish, the slipped stitches felt to the bag it is a very smooth surface, nothing to snag.

hakucho said...

I'm a sucker for anything "ball-band". Your bag is awesome! Colors are perfect. Thanks for posting the pattern!

Judy said...

Congratulations fellow KBG2 member and Thanks for sharing your pattern for this terrific bag....from http://knittingblogsgrouptwo.blogspot.com

Kathleen said...

Your bag looks fantastic. It reminds me of stained glass- I love it!

Kenyetta said...

Awesome! Off to knit both my girls one!

Jane said...

I just found your ballband bag and I love it - thanks for sharing your pattern. I'm a little confused with the directions though. In the picture of the bag it looks like you slipped the black stitches (color (a), but the pattern says to slip the colored stitches (color b) Am I confused LOL.
Jane
grammieknits@yahoo.com
http://janevdoviak.blogspot.com

Claudia said...

I know you posted this quite some time ago, but I'm just knitting it up now and love it! I'm confused on the ending, however. I hope you can still get back to me with some more information.

I did some research on the I cord bindoff, since I've never done that before, and I think I understand it. But I really don't understand how you're doing the loop and what you're calling the I cord strap? Can you please help me with this?

thanks so much

Mirawyn said...

Oh, wow! This is gorgeous! I wasn't really a fan of the ballband design...until I saw this. Now I have to try it...

Pooch said...

Fantastic bag! How clever you are to have created this beauty. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern.

:)