Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mail Call

Yesterday, DD1 left to visit her cousin in Ohio. She will be gone for 10 days. I miss her already, in fact, I called her as we were getting on the interstate to come home to ask her if she was ready to come back yet. She declined, so on we drove. I know she is in good hands with my sister, but it is so hard to take them somewhere and leave them. I hope I don't drive Karen nuts with my ten thousand calls a day. I have only called once today .... so far. Anyway, as we were getting ready to leave yesterday, we checked the mail and I had a package. (I really like the mailman so far this week.) The prize package from Heddy's blog contest came, full of Canadian goodies. My kids were as excited as I was. There is the Regia sock yarn, Farbe 5384 Partie 50958, I didn't have this color in my Regia collection. Maple Syrup suckers, 1 for each on my kids and 1 for me (thank you Heddy), Smarties, which are like our M&M's, (the candy coating is a little different), not like our smarties, a Canadian pencil, Canadian tattoos, wonderful stitch markers, and a deck of Canadian playing cards. What a great package, thank you so much Heddy.
And then today, a package from the Loopy Ewe. I showed great restraint in the wee hours of Thursday morning. It was hard but I stuck to my pre-set $$ limit. I got 2 hanks of Spritely Goods yarn. Lovely, lovely stuff. The greens, brown and coral is called Peppercorn Blend. I think this may be my favorite colorway of all the yarns in my stash, well for right now anyway. Now I have to admit, I am not much of a "pink" person, but this colorway reminds me so much of Dogwoods in bloom, (my mom's favorite tree) I had to have it. The pinks and the browns mixed with a shot of bright green just made me happy, so into the shopping cart it went. The colorway is Manzanita in Bloom II. And then I was so excited to try the Wollmeise. She had a great color selection, but the Spritely Goods colors really appealed to me more, so I only got one hank of the Wollmeise. There will be more coming soon to choose from .... :) . Beautiful shades of brown and gold and rust. It is perfectly named Spice Market. All three of these hanks have well over 500 yards of yarny goodness, so there will be plenty left over to make a baby hat or maybe even ankle socks for DD2. Sheri always puts a little something extra in the package and writes a little note. It is such a nice touch. There were yarn samples from Apple Laine and Yarn Pirate included and a lovely stitch marker. Thanks Sheri!



My take along project has been the Kenya colorway socks. I was able to do the heel turn and gusset decreases in the van on the way to Ohio yesterday. I was to the toe decreases by the time we left and closed the toe of sock 1 this morning. I have to cast on for the second one so I can put it back in the van. It is amazing how much knitting you can get done waiting on your kids :)

Have a great weekend everyone, it is gorgeous here in south central IN.

15 comments:

Karen said...

What beautiful yarn you have. I can't wait to see it in person. Our daughters are busy reading HP7, it is very quite here. I'm off to get some groceries in the house. Call me (or daughter) as often as you like.

Heddy said...

I am glad to hear the package arrived safely ... and that you and the kids enjoyed it! I am fond of spreading Canadian propaganda far and wide! LOL!

And am also pleased to hear that you didn't already have the colour of Regia that I sent you (it also represents the USA well too -- quite a bit of blue in there).

I hope your DD2 has fun on her holiday (try not to miss her too much -- when I was a kid, i loved the adventure of staying with relatives, and really cherish those memories of having time with my aunts without my parents around ... the aunts treated me more like a grown up i thought when my mom wasn't there! lol!) She'll be home soon!

Janice said...

What great boxes your mailman has brought you this week!! Lots of yarny goodness!! I am always lost when my DD is gone for awhile... and to think I have to send her to college next month is going to do me in!!
I go some fun yarns at the Festival today to add to the fun Loopy stuff that came Friday. Need more knitting time.....

~Tonia~ said...

What a great package and look at all the yummy yarn from the Loopy Ewe.

Man we are so close yet so far away. I was in Hamilton, Ohio today at my Mom's. When you go back to pick up your daughter you and Karen should check out my friend's store. ;)

Diane said...

Hope you survive 10 days without DD1. Love all the packages of yarnie goodness.

Deb said...

Lots of lovely stuff to keep you company while your daughter is off having a wonderful time. It seems she is in good company!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Yah, some days the postman is nice to us huh? Your yarn looks yummy!

BTW, I loved it when my parents finally let me stay behind when they went to visit relatives out of state. I'd stay with a neighbor at night and at our house during the day. Would you believe I mopped and waxed all the floors and loved doing it? Well, 3 coats of wax might have been too much, but ...

hakucho said...

I know how hard it is to have one of your children away from you even if they are in good hands :) I'm sure she'll have lots of fun. When my son first went away to college (1 hour away ha ha ) I was a basket case for awhile and now he's( 21 in August) gone for weeks at a time. I always feel better when all my "babies" are with me.
Enjoy all your beautiful new yarn. I love the "dogwood" colored one too :)

happy knitting :)

Jknits said...

I know what you mean about leaving the kids - my dd2 won a spot in a leadership camp that lasts for a month. Of course I'm thrilled for her, but I don't want her to be gone for that long. Just another in the long list of happy/sads we parents face I guess.

kathy b said...

First Kenya is lovely. Your Canadian winnings are great. I love the proud feel it was sent with. Very nice yarn. Maple syrup suckers....oh yum. I never,,

Stephanie said...

I do hope you really enjoy knitting up those yarns :) Peppercorn Blend is one of my own personal favorites.

-SpritelyGoods Stephanie

Brenda said...

Such lovely yarn your bought! The peppercorn blend is really distinctive.

Great Kenya sock! And maple sugar suckers--nice prize!

Sheri at The Loopy Ewe said...

That Peppercorn Blend was one of my favorites from Spritely Goods, too. I'm glad you got it!

Sheila said...

Smarties are like M&M's. Who knew?

Angela said...

That Spice Market yarn is the prettiest colorway I've seen yet. Perfect for Fall. I'm jealous...

Ang