Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Socks And a Bag ......


.....from the knitting daughter 1. She swore off knitting for a while after the fingerless mitt knitting marathon we had. But her friends were so impressed with her knitted gifts, she decided to make one of her friends a felted bag for her Birthday. We still need to get a few buttons for the little tab thingy, otherwise it is done. Apparently I have no suitable buttons in the infamous button drawer. She knit this bag with Cascade 220 and the pattern is Lagoon from the Pursenality Plus Book. I think she did a fantastic job with just minimal assistance. She has picked out a few more bags she would like to make for herself, so I am sure she will be raiding my Cascade 220 stash in the near future. She already has several felted bags, but apparently you can not have too many.




And on the sock knitting front, I have finished 2 more pair. Thank you all for your encouragement and compliments. I have come to find that most of the singletons are plain vanilla socks, either a simple rib or a stockinette stitch. Maybe I should not make as many of those, since they seem to be put into hibernation the most. It just seems that some yarns and colors want to be plain vanilla. First finished is Mountain Colors, Bearfoot in the Firestorm color. I know this sock was at least 3 other patterns before it became a 4 x 2 rib. 60 stitches and size 1 needles. These are wonderfully soft, and smooshy. I know they will be exceptionally warm. I will wait to wear them this weekend when we have single digit temperatures.

And the second to be finished this week are the Great Adirondack Soxie in the Kenya color. Again a plain vanilla sock, 68 stitches and size 1 dpns. This yarn is very much like CTH Supersock. Same feel, same tight twist and wonderful to knit with. I have 2 other pair close to being finished, maybe by the end of the week. One pair knit in CTH Supersock Potluck Brights, and the other in Fleece Artist in the Hercules color.
Last night was the sneak up at The Loopy Ewe As soon as I go the email I dashed over to the site, only to find all the other Wollmiese shoppers had crashed the site. By the time it came back up the site was soooo slow and it was saying there were only 6 colors left, actually there were only 3. As I was putting them into my shopping cart, loopy fell over again, so I waited a minute and tried again, by now there was only one color remaining so I put it in my cart since it was one I wanted, only to have it bought out of my cart before I could click on the checkout button. I guess it was not meant to be. I have been fortunate to get some in other sneak ups so I was not too disappointed. There is always the next time or the time after that. But I do love the Wollmeise and the fantastic colors she produces.
I did, however, decide to try out some new needles. I went over the The Yarn Grove to order some of the Hiya Hiya needles . Has anyone knit with these. I have heard good things about the stainless steel circular needles, but have not heard much about the dpns. They are reasonably priced, so I thought I would give them a try. I am expecting some Harmony dpns any day now too. What am I thinking, ordering more needles when I am trying so hard to get my other needles empty. I may be my own worst enemy in this endeavor.
Happy Knitting everyone and have a great week.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait until you get that Bearfoot on your feet. You won't want to take those socks off. They feel SOOO good and warm too.

Karen said...

Kaitlin did a fantastic job on that bag. And look at all those socks coming off the needles. So pretty too, your feet will be petting each other and saying ahhhhhh!

Beth N said...

That bag is wonderful! She did an excellent job. The socks are always wonderful.

smr61754 said...

Monica, I am going to sound like a broken record but your socks are just da bomb! :) Makes me wish I could knit. But....

I just ordered some sock yarn...Crystal Palace Panda Cotton....supposed to be really good. I got 6 skeins, enough for 3 pair of socks. I cant wait for them to arrive so I can get started :)

Sandy

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your daughter did a fantastic job on the bag! Way to go!

Your socks are lovely as usual. Too bad you weren't able to get the yarn you wanted at Loopy Ewe :o(.

Brenda said...

Great bag! I love the color choices.

The Firestorm socks look so warm and fun. With some of those bright multi-colored yarns, ribs or stockinette look best.

I got Knitpicks metal dpns for Christmas, but I keep forgetting to try them. Not very smart!

Janice said...

Wow, the bag looks fantastic!! Your daughter did a great job! Your socks look wonderful as well. You must have the toastiest toes around!! Bummer about the Wollmeise. Same thing happened to me. It was there and then it was gone.

Diane said...

Your daughter did a beautiful job on the bag. Such success definately means that your cascade stash is not safe.

Love the socks.

hakucho said...

Great socks! I love your daughter's bag. She did a fabulous job...she got a very good teacher :)

Sheila said...

Your daughter did a great job with the felted bag. I hope she found a suitable button. I am a button person and just the right button can make all the diference. Keep warm this weekend. The cold front is already here in the desert SW. Brrrr!

gypsyknits said...

Is this your teen DD who is the knitter? My teen DD 2 knits.

By the way, do you sleep ?:) Boy do you put out the socks. I'm thinking you knit in your sleep. They are awesome socks.

I missed getting a skein of wollmeise too. I have a few friends who are pooling their money to order direct. Keep those needles clicking.....

Alisha said...

I love the bag...great job she did there!!

More great socks...I love you for your socks!!!