Saturday, August 26, 2006

Football Game Knitting


You get a few odd looks when you knit at a high school football game. It was the first home game of the season, and cross town rivals were playing. The oldest is in the marching band so they were there to play during half time. It was packed, I was there 40 minutes early and still had to park 3 blocks away and hoof it to the field and then stand on the track for the first quarter and sit on the track for the second quarter, and finally got a bleacher seat after half time. At the beginning of the second quarter I cast on for this sock. It is some lovely Opal my sister Karen shared with me ... I love it, thank you, Karen. This is how much sock you can knit in 3 quarters of a high school football game. It is Opal Traumfanger 1232, just a plain jane, mindless knitting sock. 68 stitches, size 2 needles, 8.5 stitches to the inch. Oh, and by the way, the band sounded fantastic. They work so hard and it shows.
And also on the needles is a sweater for the youngest. The oldest says it is "ugly", but the youngest likes it, and assures me she will gladly wear it. It is a pattern from the Spring 2005 "Knit It" magazine. It is the Hugs and Kisses Pullover, designer Kristen Nicholas. I am knitting it in the round, instead of flat as the pattern directs, and will do steeks for the armholes. I am knitting it in Cascade 220 on size 7 needles. It is a little scrunched up on the needles for the picture, but it is coming along nicely. Hopefully, I will have it done for cool, fall weather. She will match the changing colors of the leaves.

That is about all for today. We have a house full of sickly people... I hate when school begins for just this reason. We take bets on which one will get sick first, and how many days into the new school year it will take. This year , boy child won, sickly in just 3 days, followed by the oldest, 5 days, and now the youngest, who appears to be the worst. You just got to love those confined spaces and 26 coughing, sneezing kids all in one room. The youngest wants to be held, so I am off for now.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Your sock looks great (your very welcome for the yarn). And I love that sweater (daughter, the eldest doesn't know what she's talking about). I was bad today and got my mitten yarn.

Kerry said...

Love the Opal! Where did your sister find it? It's gorgeous. And the sweater is amazing!!! Even though I love knitting in the round I think I'd knit flat just to avoid the steeks. They scare me. LOL

Diane said...

I casted on the same opal yarn Saturday. Was going to be socks for my son in law but after looking at it a little more I think I'll frog it and make it socks for my daughter. LOVE THE COLORS!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I love that sock yarn colour! I am going to try to hunt me down some of that (just hope it's not overly expensive lol). The pullover is looking great too! Hope your family gets better quickly!

kathy b said...

Oh, The sweater is so lovely. Sorry about the bugs that got your family. I too dread them this time of year. Someone is usually sniffling by Labor Day!

Nonna Rose said...

The start of the sweater is beautiful. I am impressed with your work with multiple colors. I'm still intimidated by more then two colors! I'll check back to see the completed sweater.

Vanessa said...

I say the sweater is awesome! Love the colors . Cannot wait to see it all done! Which pattern is this???